As an Assistant Instructor, you will be authorized to teach all aspects of skin and scuba diving under the supervision of a NAUI Instructor. This is the best possible way to develop your instructional skills. The rating can be a step toward full Instructor, or an end in itself. Match your time, talent and interests with the NAUI programs near you, and enjoy the adventure of personal and professional enhancement as a NAUI leader.
The NAUI Assistant Instructor rating is a NAUI leadership-level certification. The program is designed to introduce students to diving instruction basics. It also tests individuals in fundamental water skills needed to be capable assistants. Certification authorizes individuals to assist active-status NAUI Instructors in the conduct of dive training. NAUI Assistant Instructor certification is a highly recommended step in the progression to NAUI Instructor.
Qualifications of Graduates
- A current NAUI Assistant Instructor is qualified to assist active-status NAUI Instructors in teaching skin and scuba diving during sanctioned diving courses provided the activities and locale are similar to those of the training. Additional training or experience is to be obtained by the Assistant Instructor who desires to assist in highly specialized training activities, such as deep, wreck penetration, cavern or ice dives.
- A NAUI Assistant Instructor can be counted toward student-instructor ratios.
- An active-status NAUI Assistant Instructor who completes a NAUI-DAN First Aid Instructor orientation, who has completed all required NAUI-DAN orientation modules and is using the NAUI-DAN training and support materials, may teach the NAUI-DAN First Aid programs.
- After assisting an active-status NAUI Instructor with at least one complete NAUI Scuba Diver course, a current NAUI Assistant Instructor is qualified, if all other prerequisites are met, to enter a NAUI Divemaster Training Course (DMC) and/or Instructor Training Course (ITC).
Prerequisites for Entering the Course
- Minimum age is 18 years by the water phase of the course.
- Current registration as a NAUI FIT Program graduate. (Optional as of 6/1/19)
- Current certification as a NAUI Open Water Scuba Diver or the equivalent
- Current certification as a NAUI Rescue Scuba Diver or the equivalent
- Current certification as a NAUI Nitrox Diver or the equivalent
- Current certification as a NAUI Master Scuba Diver or the equivalent
- Current certification in NAUI First Aid for the Diving Professional or equivalent.
- A minimum of 50 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 25 hours bottom time. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth, and activities.
- Medical Approval – Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
- Materials – Contact the us for current requirements.